It is the time of year when we start to reflect on where we have been and what we have accomplished in 2016. This one has been a great one for Seniorologie but what has made it so great is the love and support from YOU! Because of the wonderful community of senior photographers, we were able to share your journey and watch you grow! That is the greatest joy for me as it is the reason I started Seniorologie in the first place!
So how do I even begin to sum up 2016 in a blog post? Well I am not sure I can but I am going to try! So let’s look back on some of the amazing memories made this year!
1. The Seniorologie Shoot Out in Atlanta – each year we host shoot outs as a fun day event where photographers can gather to learn and create amazing images for their portfolio. For years, I have hosted shoot outs alongside events such as PPA and WPPI because it was a great place to meet a ton of you!! You are already going so why not meet you there! 🙂 We were one of the first senior only shoot outs and we continue to try and bring you amazing education plus awesome styled shoots. We team up with some of the best in the industry and the Atlanta Shoot Out was no exception. Spanki Mills, Brittney Kluse and I found a beautiful studio to host this event in and we had some amazing models to photograph. It was so fun to see familiar faces at this event as well as meet new ones! It was definitely a fun day!
2. In February, I traveled to Miami to scout for Conference 12. It was an awesome location and as soon as I saw the beautiful hotel I knew it would be home to an amazing event. It was the first time (yes, first!) I had physically visited a location for a workshop or conference! I have done numerous shoot outs, Seniorologie Tours and Conferences but never actually visited the location prior to the event. It was something that I will continue to do because it gives me the feeling of what the location will be like for the attendees! Finding the perfect spot that gives us all that special feeling is what I look for in a conference location.
3. We started an online community for senior photographers around the world! I had long had private groups on Facebook for each event we hosted but it got to be a lot to handle. So I finally made the decision to add everyone from each of those smaller groups into one big online community called The Seniorologie Community! Love and support is one of the key ingredients for successful small businesses and I want this group to be that for each of you!! A safe place to ask questions, find support and just communicate to others in the same industry. The Seniorologie Community has been a great decision and I am so glad to be a part of such a strong group!
4. Seniorologie celebrated its FIFTH Birthday!! I can’t believe a little blog that I started and didn’t think anyone would read has grown and continued to grow for five years!! On one had it feels like yesterday and on the other it feels like forever! ha!! I have had ups and downs but the ups outweigh the downs and everyday I get an email or message from someone letting me know that Seniorologie has helped them! That is all I need to keep it going!! I never strived to have a million followers but rather a supportive community that I could help in their business. So whether that is one person or 500 people, I know that this blog has helped and that makes me proud!
5. The Seniorologie Road Trip!! For a long time, I dreamed of hosting a road trip. Traveling warms the soul and to be able to travel to an amazing location with other photographers while taking photos along the way was a dream come true! Spanki Mills, myself and two brave photographers went on the trip of a lifetime! We started in San Francisco and drove down the coast to LA, stopping in fun cities along the way to host Shoot Outs! Meeting the different photographers and models in the different cities was one of the highlights of the trip! It is so nice to meet photographers in person and share our journeys! Being able to take photographs in the amazing coastline of California was also a dream come true!! There is just something about California, its light and its amazing landscape! You cali photogs are super lucky! Oh, and the fact that you can take photos of the sun actually setting over the water….this east coast girl (sunrise over the water which is way too early for a photoshoot) is majorly jelly!! 🙂
6. In October, I was invited to represent Seniorologie at Click Away, a Clickin Moms event. I was thrilled and honored to be able to teach four classes with photoshoots. Even though it rained, we were able to create some amazing images.
7. Our second Conference was held in Miami in late October and it was such an awesome event. The attendees were amazing, the location was beautiful and our speakers were wonderful! One of the greatest joys as the host of this event is seeing the same familiar faces there. I can’t think of a better compliment than for a photographer to trust me more than once for their educational needs. The Conference Twelve Alumni are the best and I am so glad that each attendee chose this event as part of their journey.
8. I launched an online course called Seniorologie School and continue to improve it for you. I wanted a course that could take its students through different areas that make up a senior photography business. I have put my heart and soul into this course and can’t wait to open enrollment for a new group of students! It was my dream to have senior photographers become Seniorologists, professionals in their field and with this course I hope I am helping people achieve their dreams of running successful senior photography business.
This year has been a great one and I can not wait to see where 2017 takes us!! I hope you will join me on this journey as we work together to create a wonderful senior photography community of support and love! Look for a new website (been working on it all of 2016 and hope to get it launched in 2017), several Shoot Outs and our next Conference Twelve in Denver! I hope to see you all throughout 2017 and I can’t wait to continue to watch each of you grow your businesses!!
I would love to hear your year in review!! If you write a blog post about your year, please be sure to let us know! We would love for others to read it as well! So share a link to your Year in Review blog post in the comments below! Be sure to read the others that comment as well so we can all read each others, give each other support and share in our journeys! Comment on each others too because that is how we know people are out there reading and supporting!! If you post on your Instagram, tag us @seniorologie and use the hashtag #seniorologie and #yearinreview. I can’t wait to read your year in review!