Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
Episode #3 – To Enter or Not To Enter, An Interview with Emil Rodriguez-Powell of Slice of Lime Photography
Education is the key to moving us forward but sometimes that education comes from within. Taking a look at your photos, your work and your style is a great way to learn about where you have been and where you need to go in your photography journey.
In Episode 3 of The Seniorologie Podcast, I interview one of our Seniorologie Best of the Year Awards Judges Emil Rodriguez-Powell and ask her how image contests can help a photographer grow. We talk about how looking at your images with a critical eye when trying to decide what images to enter into a contest gives you a new perspective on your work and allows you to see what you do great and what you could improve upon. I ask Emil what she is looking for as a judge and what she things may hold some photographers back from entering contests.
The Seniorologie Podcast is a weekly podcast hosted by Leslie Kerrigan, creator of Seniorologie, for high school senior photographers. Whether you are just starting out or you have been photographing seniors for a while, The Seniorologie Podcast is your resource for all things senior photography related.
Highlights from Episode 3:
- Image Contests are a great way to reflect on your work – learn from what you are doing by looking at your images with a critical eye and use what you see to help push you forward and become even better in your photography.
- Differentiate yourself in your market – By entering contests, you can showcase the senior in the images you entered! If you win a category, be sure to share it on social media, tag the senior and the parent, and shout it from the rooftops that your image won. The senior and the parent are also going to want to share it because they or their child was in the image so you have great word of mouth marketing. You can also display the image in your office so when clients come to look at their photos they will see your image proudly displayed. You can also add a button on your website so potential clients she you are nationally recognized in senior photography.
- Have someone else look at your images – having a friend in the industry, but not necessarily in the senior industry, is a great way to have another set of eyes on your images. They can help you see things you may not have noticed and they can help you when choosing which images to enter.
- Don’t let FEAR keep you from entering – Fear is the devil and can keep us from doing so many things. But as Emil said, “what do you have to lose!” Don’t let fear of not winning keep you from entering. If you don’t win, try again the next year and use this as a learning and growing point in your business.
- The Seniorologie Best of the Year Awards is open now until February 11! – To find out more about the image contest and to enter, click HERE.
Links to find Emil: